Want to Try Ginger Oil for Weight Loss? Let’s Look at The Evidence
Table of Contents
- Ginger Oil for Weight Loss — Product Claims
- So, Does Ginger Essential Oil Help With Weight Loss?
- Proven Effects of Ginger Essential Oil
- Does Any Essential Oil Work for Weight Loss?
- Wrapping Up
Many praise ginger oil for belly fat loss and overall weight loss. However, does ginger oil really work? Is it safe? We will dive into the evidence supporting ginger oil for weight loss. Read on to learn more!
Ginger Oil for Weight Loss — Product Claims
The product in question is Belly Drainage Ginger Essential Oil, which is basically ginger oil diluted in jojoba oil. The oil is intended to be massaged into the belly button, put in a humidifier, or rubbed into the skin during massage.
The product is glamorized as a ‘Slimming Essential Oil’ that will help you lose weight while lying down without dieting. But is it even possible to lose weight without dieting or at least controlling your diet?
This oil also claims to do the following:
- Tighten the skin
- Boost metabolism
- Speed up fat burning
- Improve body shape
It also claims that it will eliminate gas, reduce swelling, improve digestion, increase blood circulation, and more through lymphatic drainage.
These statements sound miraculous, don’t they? Is it too good to be true? Unfortunately, yes. Let’s talk more about this!
Drainage Ginger Essential Oil is Basically a Massage Oil
The oil we’re referring to is promoted as lymphatic drainage oil.
So what is lymphatic drainage? Lymphatic drainage (also manual lymphatic drainage or lymphatic drainage) is a type of massage to reduce painful swelling in the limbs caused by a condition called lymphedema. Individuals with rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, chronic venous insufficiency, or other conditions can benefit from this type of massage to remove the lymph from their bodies and reduce discomfort and pain. 
While losing lymph will technically cause a reduction in your weight because you are draining accumulated fluid, you are not losing fat in this process.
Additionally, an individual without a condition that creates lymphedema (which is typically the population that wants to use this product for weight loss) does not have accumulated lymph in their body anyway. Therefore, lymphatic drainage is not necessary or effective for most people.
So, Does Ginger Essential Oil Help With Weight Loss?
There are no evidence-based research studies that support the use of ginger essential oil to aid in weight loss, whether the oil is rubbed into the belly button, added to water in a humidifier, or massaged into the skin.
Even if you are someone who would benefit from lymphatic drainage, there is no evidence that ginger essential oil itself would aid in lymphatic drainage. Additionally, only trained individuals and professionals should perform manual lymphatic drainage massages.
This ginger oil product claims that you will lose weight or belly fat ‘without dieting’ and ‘lying down.’ This claim is fundamentally flawed because in order to achieve successful and sustainable weight loss, you must focus on eating healthy and increasing your physical activity. 
Support your weight loss and health goals with a customized meal plan from Omo, the best weight loss app that promotes only proven ways to get in shape!
Proven Effects of Ginger Essential Oil
While ginger essential oil does not have any proven benefit for weight or body fat loss, evidence-based research does support some uses.
Some proven effects of ginger essential oil are as follows:
- It has antibacterial properties against food pathogens such as E. coli and S. aureus. 
- It functions as a complementary therapy for those with rheumatic diseases. 
- It may improve nausea and vomiting after a surgical operation. 
- It can reduce nausea and vomiting after chemotherapy treatment. 
It is important to clarify that no essential oil should be ingested by humans, and you should only use them topically. 
Consuming even a very small amount of essential oil can be very dangerous and toxic.
Does Any Essential Oil Work for Weight Loss?
While we have established that ginger essential oil does not work for weight loss, it makes sense that you would wonder if any essential oil could be used effectively for weight loss.
It is difficult to answer this question because essential oils by themselves do not necessarily cause weight loss.
However, certain essential oils may have beneficial indirect effects that may influence weight loss and overall health and well-being.
For instance, a study published in the Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine concluded that extracts from juniper leaves could exhibit antioxidant properties. Antioxidants are natural compounds that protect cells from the harmful effects of free radicals, which are naturally produced in the body and present in our environment. 
Free radicals can cause inflammation and oxidative stress in the body, which may worsen obesity, heart disease, and many more chronic disease states.
Similarly, according to the Global Journal of Medical Research, sage oil also has antioxidant properties and can help reduce and prevent oxidative stress in the body. 
Before considering adding any type of essential oil or supplement to your lifestyle, make sure you first speak with your physician.
- There are no direct benefits of ginger essential oil for weight loss, whether used for a massage, added into a humidifier, or rubbed into the belly button.
- It claims to aid in lymphatic drainage; however, that is only needed for those with certain medical conditions, such as fibromyalgia.
- While some essential oils can have an antioxidant effect that may benefit weight management, no essential oil directly promotes weight loss.
- Healthy eating and physical activity are the best ways to lose weight healthfully.
- Similar to other products that claim to help weight loss, such as Ballerina tea or snaps for weight loss, it is crucial to speak with a physician before using ginger essential oil (or any other supplement or essential oil!).
- Speaking with a registered dietitian can help you formulate a plan for weight loss.
- No essential oil should be ingested, even in minimal amounts. Only use essential oils topically.